The Occupational Health & Safety Act (OHSA) requires the Employer to take all necessary steps to provide members with a safe and healthy workplace. During the COVID-19 pandemic, this is especially important to minimize infections and ensure we have proper protocols in campus buildings. The statutory obligation of the Employer to provide a healthy and safe work environment is supported by the Joint Health and Safety Committees (JHSCs) and enforced by the Ontario Ministry of Labour.
The Employment Standards Amendment Act Infectious Diseases (Bill 186, 2020), extended job protection to employees that have to take time off work because of COVID-19 related issues (illness, childcare, family care, isolation). All provisions of the Collective Agreement have been interpreted and applied in accordance with this legislation. Members also have the right to be accommodated based on disability and family status to the point of undue hardship, as defined in the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC).
Addressing Health & Safety Concerns
- If you have urgent safety concerns on campus, please contact security at 613-533-6111.
- For lack of disinfectant, personal protective equipment (PPE), etc., contact FIXIT at email@example.com
- Please read the recent correspondence between QUFA and Queen’s Environmental Health and Safety on mask protocols and ventilation here.
- For more complex Health & Safety issues that may require accommodations, for example, please use the Internal Response System and contact your Department or Unit Head.
- If you have not received a satisfactory solution, please get in touch with the QUFA Joint Health and Safety Committee Representative in your area:
- Administrative Services: Shamel Addas – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arts & Science: Monika Holzschuh – email@example.com
- Engineering & Applied Science: Nicolas Hudon – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Library: Gillian Akenson – email@example.com
- Education: Zabe MacEachren – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Health Sciences: Lisa Butler – email@example.com
- Isabel Bader Centre: Dan Tremblay – firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also contact the QUFA team for assistance.
- You can invoke your right to refuse or stop work when you feel your health and safety is in danger, in accordance with the OHSA.
1. Queen’s Environmental Health & Safety Office
2. Joint Health & Safety Committees
3. Campus Respiratory Illness Information (COVID-19)
4. Queen’s Ventilation Management Website
5. Queen’s Workplace Violence Program
6. Ontario Occupational Health & Safety Act
7. Employment Standards Amendment Act (Infectious Disease)
8. Ontario Human Rights Code
9. Right to Refuse Unsafe Work (Government of Ontario)
SeQure App: Queen’s University uses this app to communicate safety and security information, local emergency response contacts, crisis alerts, and support services. Download the app free for Apple and Android devices.