Job Description – 2011
From the QUFA Constitution
9.2 Election or Appointment
ii) The positions of Equity Representative, Queen’s University Librarians and Archivists (QULA) Representative, Term Adjunct Representative, and Continuing Adjunct Representative must be filled by a person dedicated to that position alone. If any of these representatives takes on another position on the Executive, then another person must be found to replace her or him for the dedicated position that they have vacated.
v) The two Executive representatives for the Term and Continuing Adjunct Faculty members shall be selected to represent their respective electoral units. These designated representatives of Adjunct members on Council shall not preclude Adjunct members from representing academic units at Council.
9.6 Duties of Remaining Members of the Executive Committee
iv) The representatives for Librarians and Archivists, and for Term and Continuing Adjunct Faculty members shall advise the Executive Committee on the implications for their constituencies of policies and activities of the Association and shall perform such duties as are from time to time requested by the Council or the Executive Committee
- Attend Executive Meetings the first week of every month (September-June) and actively participate in the decision making processes
- Attend Council Meetings the third week of the month (September-May) and actively participate in the decision making processes
- Stay informed about current and emerging issues and share those concerns with the QFUA Executive
- Use the QUFA listserv for Continuing Adjuncts to develop networks and opportunities to share information with QUFA and each other on a regular basis (electronically and through meetings and social events)
- Participate in providing information, editing or approving communication to QUFA Members and the public
- Motions that are brought to Executive or Council should include
a) the timeline for action and reporting and
b) a description of that will be done by whom (QUFA volunteers and staff)
Throughout the Year
- June – Attend full day Executive retreat in June for incoming and outgoing members.
- October – Coordinate Fair Employment Week (third week of October) with the Term Adjunct Representative and the Political Action and Communication Committee to promote awareness of Contract Academic Staff issues. Materials are available on the QUFA wiki and from the Canadian Association of University Teachers website
Depending on your background and interests – QUFA could use your expertise in the following ways:
1) Serving as a Member of at least one of these QUFA committees
- Joint Committee to Administer the Agreement and subcommittees and working groups on Salary Model and Anomalies)
- Committee to Manage the Collective Agreement (CMCA)
- Political Action and Communication and subcommittees
- Pension Working Group
- Budget Analysis Committee
- Constitutional Committee OR
2) Help QUFA monitor Queen’s Senate by
- Working with QUFA President and PACC Co-Chair to develop Senate questions and other submissions due by noon on Thursday of the first week of the month (September-May)
- Attend Senate Faculty Caucus meeting (scheduled a few days before Senate) to discuss any issues emerging and develop questions to address those issues (September-May)
- Attend Senate (Tues at 3:30-1.5 – 2 hours September-May). Remember to request visitor status every month from the University Secretariat
- Fact check and edit a brief written report about Senate (drafted by the QUFA PACC Co-Chair) to send to QUFA Executive, Council and PACC and posted on the QUFA website by the end of the week. This report could be sent to QUFA Members when necessary
Please discuss these options with QUFA President and the QUFA Administrative Officer to decide what responsibilities are most important each year.
Term of Office:
Two years starting July 1 and ending June 30
Your work is Service to the University following Article 7.6.4. of the Collective Agreement
When you are away from direct contact via phone and email communications, the QUFA Administrative Officer should be informed of the dates and notified when contact will be resumed.
QUFA recognizes that because of volunteer’s academic duties and personal responsibilities, individuals cannot guarantee to be available for all meetings cited in the job descriptions.
QUFA Executive Committee Duties and Powers
Article 9.3 QUFA Constitution
i) The Executive Committee shall exercise all the powers delegated to it by Council and report its activities regularly to Council;
ii) The Executive Committee shall be responsible for:
a) Developing policy for the Association, under direction from Council or as it deems necessary, and recommending such policy to Council for approval;
b) Implementing the policies of the Association;
c) Administering the budget of the Association;
d) Supervising the collective bargaining of the Association;
e) Acting upon the recommendations of the Grievance Committee;
f) Recommending to Council the formation of new Standing Committees;
g) Forming Ad Hoc committees as necessary to carry out the work of the Executive Committee;
h) Receiving reports, as required, from committees and representatives and communicating such reports, as required, to Council;
i) Recommending to Council, the Chairs, members of Standing committees and Ad Hoc committees formed by the Executive Committee, as well as appointees for joint employer-Association committees; and approving the appointment of QUFA representatives to other Queen’s and QTC committees and task forces, and positions on external bodies; and filling any vacancies which may arise in the terms of such appointees;
j) Recommending candidates to Council to fill mid-term vacancies on the Executive Committee;
k) Encouraging the development of caucuses (among e.g. librarians and archivists, heads, adjuncts, feminist, junior faculty, and any other relevant sub-groups of members who express interest in forming a caucus) to ensure that constituencies within the Association are able to articulate their concerns adequately;
l) Making every effort to ensure adequate communications with student associations and other employee Groups at Queen’s and QTC;
m) Addressing issues of equity and the status of women through the development of QUFA committees or caucuses and/or through the nominations of representatives to participation in Queen’s and QTC-wide equity and status of women committees, caucuses, and councils;
n) Recommending the convening of special meetings of the Association to Council as required;
o) With the advice of the Staff Relations Committee and in accordance with the Employment Policy for QUFA Staff, hiring, supervising, and dismissing employees.