1. New Queen’s-QUFA Collective Agreement: The Queen’s University Faculty Association (QUFA) and Queen’s University successfully concluded negotiations for a new contract in late August. Please note that Renewal, Tenure, Adjunct Conversion and Promotion processes underway will follow the old contract provisions for this year. A DRAFT version of the new Collective Agreement is available here. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have questions about terms and conditions of employment.
2. QUFA/CAUT EVENT: Get Science Right! Please join us on September 24 (3-5pm) to hear from Queen’s Professors John Smol and Annette Burfoot (from the Canadian Association of University Teachers Executive), and Katie Gibbs (Executive Director of Evidence for Democracy) on the problems with current Federal Government science policies (such as the funding crisis, muzzling, corporatization etc.). This event is co-sponsored with CAUT. It is free, open to the public and will be held in Botterell Hall (Room B143).
3. QULA EVENT: Queen’s University Librarians and Archivists 50th Anniversary Event Please join us on October 8 (5-7pm) in the Sutherland Room of the John Deutsch University Centre to hear Queen’s Law Professor Wanjiru Njoya talk about “The Concept of Industrial Democracy: A Comparative Look at Worker Participation”. This event is free. Please RSVP to http://goo.gl/forms/XZqr10zxkh if you plan to attend.
4. CAUT EVENT: Fifth Forum for Aboriginal Academic Staff will be held in Winnipeg on November 6-7, 2015. The focus of the Forum will be on the impact of austerity measures on Indigenous Studies programs, what faculty associations can to do to promote Indigenous knowledge and how to build inclusive academic cultures. If you are Aboriginal and a member of QUFA and would like to attend this event as a QUFA delegate, please contact Leslie Jermyn by September 21.
5. Have Your Say in Maclean’s University Rankings Process: Have you ever wished Maclean’s would ask different questions or ask different people before ranking Canada’s universities? If so, here’s your chance to participate in shaping the rankings as a member of Queen’s Faculty by participating in a new Maclean’s survey. The English version is here and the French is here.
6. QUFA Meetings: Next Council Meeting is 16 September. See here for all QUFA and related events.